John Myers - The End of Industry (Portfolio Edition)
- Green-grey cloth folio, featuring twelve beautifully printed 9x12" silver gelatin prints. Edition of 8 plus 2 APs
- A signed copy of The End of Industry, published by RRB Photobooks in August 2019
- A 10x8" silver gelatin print of Cupolas, Cradley Castings, Cradley Heath, 1983
- A 5x4" silver gelatin print of Bricks drying, William Mobberley Brickworks, Kingswinford, 1983
- Currently priced at £3000 (+ VAT)
These photographs were taken between 1981 and 1988 in 'The Black Country', a part of England that was famous for making things from metal.
Changes occurred in the early 1980s that hit metal manufacturing particularly hard. A record number of bankruptcies resulted in high levels of unemployment. Factories either closed completely or realigned their business model to warehousing and retailing components that had been manufactured overseas. Foundries, forges and steelworks - not easily transformed into industrial units or office space - quickly morphed into housing estates, enterprise zones or retail parks.
The change was rapid and irreversible. A landscape that had been formed by the Industrial Revolution disappeared.
For further information and to purchase a portfolio please contact firstname.lastname@example.org